Friday, January 25, 2008

Winter Is Here!

I'm being beat about the head and shoulders from multiple parties for not updating, so I'd best get to it! ;)

35 degrees and holding. Seriously, this morning's temp is today's high. In other words, COLD! A quick trip to J. Jill last weekend with Uska produced some lovely flannel jammies and a great sweater, so I'm ready to stay warm. To be perfectly honest, I've been wearing both to work all week. Fortune smiles on the telecommuter: only the dogs see it and they have no comment.

The scavenger hunt is on and I get to spoil a lovely person whose name and location will remain secret. I'm very excited!

I haven't worked on the black turtleneck much due to the demands of the silversmithing class, which I must say is awesome. I've decided on my first project and it's been blessed by the instructor: a representation of the Seattle skyline as a brooch. It's a skyline I've been fascinated with for years and have taken many pictures of it from the Ferry (all of which I no longer have, and that's a long story for another time). Barbara, half of our instruction team, had a lovely suggestion to implying the water of the Puget Sound. I'm still considering whether to add a stone, what kind, and where. Top of the Space Needle, maybe. And the piece contains the Kingdome, which has since been replaced by a new stadium.

Please send prayers out to my friend, Jim. Jim, and his wife Kay, have been a very close friends of my mother's for over thirty years, and I spent much time at their house while I was growing up. They both have meant a lot to me, and I have always held up Kay as a model of what a woman could be and could do. Jim has been active in a variety of pursuits, most recently archeology (he's been on many digs!) and photography. He's a terrific photographer, and some of my favorite images come from him. Jim is dying of cancer and I'm so sad to see such an enormous life pass from this world. Mom says the end is very close. If you're reading, Mom, I got your email and I'll send cards.

2 comments:

  1. Erin,

    I am really not sure what happened, but my original scavenger hunt swap partner was removed. (big scandal?) Anyway, you were reassigned to me! Does that mean you were originally assigned to the person who was removed? So...here I am. By the way, I absolutely love your stove! Do you cook a lot?

    Your new scavenger hunt partner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that stove were in our kitchen! No, I'm with my original assigned partner. We used to cook a great deal, but we like good tools. And, well, Kent is a Chef-Wanna-Be. So am I, a little, but not seriously. He's always dreamed of a Viking or Wolf range, but since we decided to postpone the partial work until we were ready to do the entire kitchen, we postponed purchasing the range too.

    ReplyDelete